[darcs-users] darcs patch: Adaptively choose display units.

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Feb 28 22:50:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:48:20 +0100, Petr Rockai wrote:
> > Yeah!  It's good that we do this, but one thing we need to be careful
> > about is to show the same time unit across the row so that we don't
> > display confusing things like 700ms against 1s.  I mean, people are
> > smart enough to do the conversion, but when you're staring at these
> > columns of numbers, you really want to make things as easy as possible.
>
> I find it better to have 10s d=25ms than 10s d=0.0 ... also easier on
> the eyes for the more usual cases like 3s d=420ms.

I went ahead and pushed a patch to make the time units uniform across
the row.  This also uses the same units for stddev and the raw time, but
on further reflection, maybe that's actually OK, because if it's really
small wrt the mean, it's a bit beyond our concern.  In the above, we'd
get something like 3.0s (0.4s), which doesn't seem too bad.

If not, we can tweak this further.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9