[darcs-users] some darcs comments from Johan Tibell

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Mon Jan 4 06:51:33 UTC 2010

Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> writes:

> On 28/12/09 18:29, Eric Kow wrote:
>
>> I recommend just trying this to see how it feels.  So I think what
>> makes --lazy work well in practice is that in practice, one does not
>> actually consult the patches that are far back in history very often.
>> If they do, it causes some fetching but only once.  So I don't think
>> this sort of thing really constitutes high variability:
>>
>>    fast fast fast fast SLOW fast fast fast
>
> If the patches are in your local cache, is there any reason for the
> SLOW case at all?

There is: the very first time, when the cache is seeded :-)

> Why doesn't darcs just use the patches from the cache, instead of
> linking them into _darcs/patches and wasting an inode?

Every week, I

    find ~/.cache/ -atime +31 -delete

That is, any cache file (including ~/.cache/darcs) that hasn't been
accessed in the last month is deleted.  If there weren't hard links in
my repo's _darcs, this cache cleanup could potentially delete the last
copy of a patch.

> Is it to avoid the extra lookup?  In which case, perhaps looking in
> the cache *first* might be better?

No comment.  Perhaps someone cares to benchmark this idea?