[darcs-users] Darcs 2.4 - performance testing (stage 0)

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Wed Jan 6 19:44:04 UTC 2010

Hi,

Nathan Gray <kolibrie at graystudios.org> writes:
> How exactly do you make one of the repo tarballs?  I would like
darcs get /path/to/repo _tmp
cd _tmp
tar cvzf ../repo.tgz .

> to make a tarball of my large repo so that I can benchmark against it.
> I would also like to use darcs-benchmark to test a darcs-1.0.9
> executable, so I need to make a tarball that is in darcs-1
> format.
Well, darcs-1 is currently not possible, since darcs-benchmark expects
darcs 2 executables. It shouldn't be hard to fix I guess, I am not sure
why the restriction is there... oh, probably because we have
hashed/darcs2 repos for the benchmark and we don't have any repo format
logic in darcs-benchmark that would know which repos to use for which
binaries. I think it would be best to only have a single tarball of any
given repository and use darcs get --old-fashioned or so to convert it
back into old-fashioned if needed. I'm not sure this is in scope for
darcs-benchmark though. A robust solution may be quite a bit of work in
the end. (I.e. we'd need to add a new axis to the system -- we now have
darcs version, repository and benchmark, and we'd add repository format,
with the restriction that not all formats work with all binaries...)

Yours,
   Petr.