[darcs-users] hashed repos qualitatively for GHC

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 21:00:34 UTC 2010

On 09/01/10 18:41, Eric Kow wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 13:47:32 +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
>> I've just built the latest darcs so that I could use
>> --skip-conflicts (it's great!).
>
> Go Ganesh! :-)
>
>> I'm doing all my work in hashed repos locally, and my perception of
>> the performance is that it's "different" to darcs-1 format repos.
>
> Is it usable?  Would you be willing for GHC to switch over to hashed
> everywhere, replacing --partial with --lazy for the buildbots?  It may
> be good to apply the latest version of patch72
>   http://bugs.darcs.net/patch72
> and see if it makes a difference.

With a local filesystems it is usable, but I need to test it at work
with my NFS-mounted home directory.

My general perception is that many things are quicker, but operations I
would expect to be instant (and were very quick with darcs 1), like
pulling/unpulling 1 patch in a GHC repo, are taking several seconds with
hashed repos and darcs 2. I've tried optimize --reorder, to no avail.
This is resulting in an overall impression of sluggishness, which is
unfortunate.

Cheers,
	Simon