[darcs-users] [patch72] resolve issue1624 break global cache up into subdirectories

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Sat Jan 9 20:58:07 UTC 2010

On 1/9/2010 15:37, Reinier Lamers wrote:
> Hello Luca,
>
> Op woensdag 23 december 2009 12:00 schreef je:
>> Have you already applied this? I may have found a bug on it.
>
> I considered applying it tonight, but it raised some more questions on IRC:
>
>    [21:26]<Heffalump>  it effectively throws away the existing cache, right?
>    [21:26] * Heffalump is a bit dubious about that
>    [21:27]<kowey>  dubious about that being a good idea?
>    [21:31]<tux_rocker>  would restructuring the cache be much faster than just
>                         rebuilding it?
>    [21:32]<idnar>  doesn't throwing the cache away potentially lose data?

I agree with these concerns. Shouldn't it be relatively simple to throw
in a fallback to check for non-subdirectory cache files?

At the very least darcs optimize (or a new darcs optimize --cache, even)
should be setup to convert caches to subdirectory caches.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net