[darcs-users] [patch72] resolve issue1624 break global cache up into subdirectories

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Jan 10 12:06:01 UTC 2010

Hi Luca,

Looks like there may be a two-liner ahead for you to work on if you
have some time.  Do you think you might be able to work on this,
hopefully soonish as the next freeze is Thurdsay?

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 00:06:05 +0000, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> >At the very least darcs optimize (or a new darcs optimize --cache,
> >even) should be setup to convert caches to subdirectory caches.
>
> I think both these suggestions make sense. The one issue with the
> fallback is that it might be slow, but I'd hope that where the main
> directory was nearly empty it would be fine.

How about we do the simplest thing first and see how that turns out?

I suggest we implement fallback-and-move (if you see a non-subdirectory
cache file, pop it into the right place and also return it), and then
informally benchmark with a large cache.

Rah, rah! A bit too eager to see what breaking up the cache does :-)