[darcs-users] time to make darcs-2-format repos the default on "darcs init" ?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Jan 10 21:06:03 UTC 2010

Hi Zooko,

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 13:21:29 -0700, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> It seems like I am finally free of the need to support darcs-1
> executables.

I hope this slow disappearance of darcs-1 executables from the face of
the earth will benefit people by finally making the hashed improvements
wider to a larger population.

For example: I hear that when the new darcs.haskell.org comes online, it
will have a darcs 2 on it.  Maybe this means the ssh connection sharing
will make darcs push a tiny bit less painful.

> Maybe this means that "darcs init" should start generating darcs-2-
> format repositories by default.  Or else to be more conservative it
> could require the user to specify either darcs-2 or --hashed.

Darcs has been generating darcs-2 format repositories by default since
Darcs 2.1 in 2008-10.

Since Darcs 2.3 we have been fetching repositories as hashed by default
even if the remote side is old-fashioned.  Unfortunately, this will be
perceived by most users as darcs get being very slow since many server
side repos are still old-fashioned.

The upcoming Darcs 2.4 will now detect old-fashioned repos on the server
side and urge you to have the server-side folks run darcs optimize
--upgrade to do an in-place upgrade to hashed (another new 2.4 feature).

It takes soooo long for all this stuff to percolate out to the masses.
I hope that once this is all more widespread, people will have fewer
things to complain about!