[darcs-users] [patch72] resolve issue1624 break global cache up into subdirectories

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Mon Jan 11 01:53:41 UTC 2010

Trent W. Buck wrote:
> Reinier Lamers <tux_rocker at reinier.de> writes:
>> Op woensdag 23 december 2009 12:00 schreef je:
>>> Have you already applied this? I may have found a bug on it.
>> I considered applying it tonight, but it raised some more questions on IRC:
>>
>>   [21:26] <Heffalump> it effectively throws away the existing cache, right?
>
> My ~/ (including ~/.cache/darcs) is shared between hosts over NFS.
> Suppose that host a has darcs 2.0.2, b has 2.3.1 and c has 2.4.0.  Does
> this mean that
>
>     c$ darcs get http://darcs.net
>
> will delete all the cache files that a and b understand?  This would be
> undesirable -- it'd make darcs on a and b slower.

it's common practice -- annoying, but common -- for ~/.dot-files to
change format as the program's version advances, (and often not be able
to go back to a previous format), so that it's only practical to use one
version of the program in any one stretch of time (and often only in
monotonically increasing order of version).  For example, Firefox. And a
lot of programs, at various version numbers.

I think this is because it's usually infeasibly to arrange it any other
way (is this case similar?), (unless you never change format).  Sharing
a home directory's ~/.dot-files between multiple systems that have much
or any version skew is (in my experience) already a recipe for trouble
because of numerous miscellaneous applications.

what do you think? admittedly,
- this is cache, not config/userdata (is that relevant?)
- this is a VCS, which perhaps we should hold to higher standards of
perfection than other apps

-Isaac