[darcs-users] Darcs 2.4 - performance testing (stage 0)

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Mon Jan 11 07:48:11 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 06:32:04 -0800, Jason Dagit wrote:
> > I grabbed the latest darcs-benchmark from Petr's repository and use --get
> > again and I'm still hanging (I let it run overnight):
>
> Argh, not good :-(
>
> Petr: I've confirmed with Jason that this is fetching from scratch.
>
> > darcs-2.3.1 check [darcs]: 1...2...                        10.9s, 50.0M
> > darcs-2.3.1 repair [darcs]: 1...2...                       10.8s, 48.0M
> > darcs-2.3.1 pull 1000 [darcs]: 1...2...                    23.3s, 45.0M
> > darcs get (full) [ghc-hashed]: 1!..
>
> Interestingly, here the issue is darcs *get*... what on earth could be
> the matter?  Jason, could you try running that command by hand?  In
> other words, doing a darcs get from the tarball?

I don't know what command was being run.

In the directory where the benchmarking happens:
$ ls -A
_playground/     repo.darcs/      repo.ghc-hashed/

And when I look for the tarball that is fetched during --get I don't see it:
$ find . -name "*.tgz"
./repo.darcs/tests/repos/many-files--darcs-2.tgz
./repo.darcs/tests/repos/many-files--hashed.tgz
./repo.darcs/tests/repos/many-files--old-fashioned-inventory.tgz
./repo.darcs/tests/repos/maybench-crc.tgz
./repo.darcs/tests/repos/old-with-checkpoint.tgz

The --get step had listed:
$ darcs-benchmark --get
downloading and extracting:
http://repos.mornfall.net/darcs/benchmark-repos/ghc-hashed.tgz
downloading and extracting:
http://repos.mornfall.net/darcs/benchmark-repos/darcs.tgz

I don't know where those were extracted.  Is the ghc tarball sitting in
repo.ghc-hashed and darcs hung trying to fetch it into _playground?  If so,
which directory in playground?

$ ls _playground/
darcs-stats  get1/        repo/

I think a smart change for darcs-benchmark would be to add a verbose mode so
that the user can easily figure out how to reproduce the benchmark(s).  Or
maybe it has that and I can't find it?  Perhaps a dry-run benchmark?  Eg.,
it tries the benchmarks but passes --dry-run to darcs so you can test if it
will hang because of darcs expecting input.

One thing I don't know is the set of command line flags that were used
during the darcs get.

I'm doing:
$ rm -rf _playground

And I'll run the benchmark again (after turning off all powersaving options,
including putting disks to sleep) to see if it hangs again.  By the way,
that rm command takes a really long time.

Thanks,
Jason