[darcs-users] Darcs 2.4 - performance testing (stage 0)

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Tue Jan 12 22:50:15 UTC 2010

Apologies for being lax to get around to this...

On 12/24/2009 12:13, Eric Kow wrote:
> Request zero: please install the following software
> Could all volunteers please ensure that you can cabal install the
> following:
>
>     - darcs-2.3.1 (manually rename this afterwards to darcs-2.3.1)
>     - darcs-benchmark
>     - HEAD darcs

I got Haskell-Platform successfully installed and "cabal install
darcs-benchmark" worked...

I also got darcs-2.3.1 to cabal install, but with -f-curl. Is it
important to get curl support setup for benchmarking?

I guess I need to get icu figured out for darcs HEAD, though.

> It may also help to make a test run
>
> 1. Make a benchmarking directory
> 2. darcs-benchmark --get
> 3. Run darcs-benchmark comparing darcs-2.3.1 and darcs HEAD

darcs-benchmark can't find the binaries because it seems to attempt to
only look locally for the binary (ie, in C:\Users\Max\Stuff\Benchmarking
where the benchmark repos are) rather than checking PATH. Upgraded to
darcs-benchmarking HEAD and have the same problem. Here's the specific
error:

darcs-2.3.1 get (full) [darcs]: 1!.. error:
C:\Users\Max\Stuff\Benchmarking\darc
s-2.3.1: runInteractiveProcess: does not exist (No such file or
directory)darcs-
2.3.1 get (lazy, x10) [darcs]: 1!.

Is this the way it is supposed to work? I don't have a huge problem with
copying the executables, if I have to, but it does seem like a silly
Windows bug.

In the not-so-silly Windows bug problems: darcs-benchmark doesn't always
cleanly close file handles and processes on interruption (Ctrl+C).

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net