[darcs-users] [patch136] remove the hardcoded string "_darcs" in ... (and 1 more)

Daniel Dickison bugs at darcs.net
Tue Jan 12 23:26:16 UTC 2010

Daniel Dickison <danieldickison at gmail.com> added the comment:

On Jan 12, 2010, at 4:55 PM, Petr Ročkai wrote:

> Petr Ročkai <me at mornfall.net> added the comment:
>
> Daniel Dickison <bugs at darcs.net> writes:
>> Unless I wrote it incorrectly, the regression test in patch135 already checks to
>> make sure _darcs/foo gets skipped:
>>
>> +touch _darcs/foo
>> +not darcs add _darcs/foo
>
> This correctly tests add, but I suspect that add is not the only code
> that ever uses the boring filter in possibly fancy ways. I would expect
> a more thorough argument as for why this is safe, especially since the
> semantic change is easily avoided.
>
> The problem is that there are some ... creative ... pieces of code in
> darcs and it's not exactly good idea to change something that could have
> unintended consequences unless you are very sure that it won't. Eric
> could probably extol the virtues of conservativism much better than me
> though.

That makes sense.  I assumed whatever code detects the _darcs directory for `add' is the same in every other situation, but I'm not familiar with darcs internals.

If you wouldn't mind a possibly naïve question, why is it necessary to special case the _darcs directory when the default boring file already contains the following line?