[darcs-users] Darcs 2.4 - performance testing (stage 0)

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Wed Jan 13 02:26:05 UTC 2010

On 1/12/2010 18:01, Max Battcher wrote:
> On 1/12/2010 17:50, Max Battcher wrote:
>> In the not-so-silly Windows bug problems: darcs-benchmark doesn't always
>> cleanly close file handles and processes on interruption (Ctrl+C).
>
> Urgh... Let me upgrade this problem... On Windows darcs itself is having
> all kinds of permission errors attempting to run through the benchmark.
> For whatever reason the benchmark isn't giving darcs enough time to
> release files between processes that subsequent tests such as unpull
> after record are failing with permission errors.
>
> Trying a "sudo" run now, to see if that helps, but it seems unfortunate
> if darcs-benchmark needs Admin privileges on Windows.

Who am I kidding? The permissions issues appear to be the same with or
without Admin privileges (which I should have expected).  For some
reason "darcs-benchmark run bin1 bin2 > test.log" doesn't get standard
out redirected to the log file properly in Windows (I'm used to it
working on Windows, so that's pretty surpising), so I'll try to cut and
paste an example or two from the log...

Here's one of the most common permission errors it seems:

C:\Users\Max\Stuff\Benchmarking\darcs-2.3.1 check --no-test +RTS
-sdarcs-stats -
RTS
  error: user error (darcs failed with error code 1
saying: Can't open stats file darcs-stats

Obviously the darcs-stats file is in pretty high demand and
darcs-benchmark doesn't seem to be waiting long enough between runs to
close the file correctly (or otherwise doesn't have the proper sharing
permissions setup for the file).

Here's an example of a failure in darcs itself:

C:\Users\Max\Bin\darcs.exe unpull --last 1000 --all +RTS -sdarcs-stats -RTS
  error: user error (darcs failed with error code 2
saying: Reading pristine 31/478

darcs failed:  Can't unpull patch without reverting some unrecorded change.
)

Well, that's also interesting because it couldn't find darcs-2.3.1 in
its place in Haskell's bin directory (despite accessibility in PATH),
but it found this other Bin directory in my PATH.

Anyway, it doesn't look like darcs-benchmark wants to run correctly on
Windows Vista just yet.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net