[darcs-users] hashed repos qualitatively for GHC

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Jan 13 17:50:54 UTC 2010

Hi Simon,

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 21:00:34 +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> With a local filesystems it is usable, but I need to test it at work
> with my NFS-mounted home directory.

Any comments?  I'd like to see if Darcs in its present state is usable
over NFS.

We may need to postpone the patch72 cache-splitting till Darcs 2.5, so
if you could live without it, that'd be great.

> My general perception is that many things are quicker, but operations I
> would expect to be instant (and were very quick with darcs 1), like
> pulling/unpulling 1 patch in a GHC repo, are taking several seconds with
> hashed repos and darcs 2. I've tried optimize --reorder, to no avail.
> This is resulting in an overall impression of sluggishness, which is
> unfortunate.

That is most unfortunate.  Looks like Petr has some thoughts on this
which could appear in a later version of Darcs.

Thanks!