[darcs-users] [patch123] Name the separators in the hunk splittin... (and 1 more)

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Fri Jan 15 19:13:55 UTC 2010

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> added the comment:

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:42:30 +0000, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> I think I like the general way this is heading

I'll note that having used my version of it a little bit, one annoyance
is that while it's more explicit, and I think helps the user get a
mental model for what's happening, it's also a pain when the patches are
big.. it just dumps a lot of useless text on the screen (useless if
you've already got the mental model).  Can't win!

Maybe we're stuck with

 (i) quick instructions for the most common task -- splitting a patch

 (ii) some sort of concise explanation (ever elusive!)

 (iii) a recommendation to see 'darcs help hunkeditor' for examples on
       how to use this for fancier splits

> but we need more general user feedback to get a good idea. I wonder if
> we can form a panel of people who are interested in the UI of this
> feature to help with discussing the ideas.

That would be good over the long term.

What should we do in the short term?  One answer is to NOT make very
much noise about hunk splitting, and in the release announcement and the
help text, just say that it's experimental with the UI subject to
change.

> Also, "You can split the current change into up to three patches" is technically
> incorrect, because you can do things such that many more than three
> patches/changes are generated, e.g. by inserting lines spaced out through the
> patch. Perhaps it's not necessary to be too pedantic about it though.

Oh, I had not considered that.  My own mental model was wrong a second
time!  I guess this goes to show that this can still be useful even if
you don't have 100% the right idea HOW it works.