[darcs-users] Feedback on hunk splitting with Darcs 2.4 beta 1

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Mon Jan 18 12:56:26 UTC 2010

I wonder if the work that has already gone into hunk splitting could
be retargeted to a different UI.

We explored two or three possible UIs on the ticket: http://
bugs.darcs.net/issue126 . galbolle did an experiment on one of those
UI proposals and he found it to be usable.  That UI was that the user
types in the line number at which to split:

http://bugs.darcs.net/msg5437

(Read the whole ticket for context.)

We've now done another experiment, on the "text editor with mini-
language" approach, thanks to Mark Stosberg, and it turns out that
this UI is not usable.  (At least not by our standards.  I'm sure it
is at least as usable as the way git does things, which is not saying
much.)  Perhaps that could be fixed with documentation changes.

Regards,

Zooko