[darcs-users] Feedback on hunk splitting with Darcs 2.4 beta 1

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Mon Jan 18 13:21:11 UTC 2010

[following-up to my own post]

On Monday, 2010-01-18, at 5:56 , Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:

> We've now done another experiment, on the "text editor with mini-
> language" approach, thanks to Mark Stosberg, and it turns out that
> this UI is not usable.  (At least not by our standards.  I'm sure
> it is at least as usable as the way git does things, which is not
> saying much.)  Perhaps that could be fixed with documentation changes.

Okay I see from Eric Kow's explanation that the hunk editing feature
is *not* an answer to the hunk-splitting wishlist item but is instead
a much more powerful and general tool which the user could use to
perform hunk-splitting (as well as many other things) if the user
could figure out how to use it.

It sounds like this will be the only important feature in darcs which
requires the user to actual Read The Fine Manual before they are able
to use it.  (The rest of the important features of darcs have this
delightful property that people who impatiently refuse to read
manuals, like me, can still figure out how to use it easily enough.)
But it does sound like a very powerful and interesting feature.

Regards,

Zooko
---
Your cloud storage provider does not need access to your data.
Tahoe-LAFS -- http://allmydata.org