[darcs-users] Feedback on hunk splitting with Darcs 2.4 beta 1

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Mon Jan 18 21:59:37 UTC 2010

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010, Florent Becker wrote:

> I think I tend to never edit the first set of lines. If this is common,
> maybe the help should emphasize on the second one. Also, the interactive
> selection after the edit should somehow convey the idea that you are
> choosing among hunks coming from the edit ('should i record this change
> [from interactive edit]?').

What do others think about this one? It would be implementable reasonably
straightforwardly, but I'm not entirely sure if it'll be that useful, and
it feels like it might clutter up the display a bit.

> The header of the edit should also mention the fact that the hunks will
> be offered by interactive selection.

I agree with this.

> Is it possible to put a magic line before the 'Interactive hunk edit:'
> bit so that emacs and vim go into darcs-interactive-edit-mode and
> put the uneditable bits in a suitable color (such as grey)? This mode
> could also have a keybinding for 'replace current line with
> corresponding line from OLD' and 'replace with corresponding line from
> NEW'. These would make hunk splitting even easier.

I like the general idea of editor interaction, but I'm clueless as to how
to implement the editor modes. But I guess if someone writes those,
editing the help text to add the magic line should be trivial.

Ganesh