[darcs-users] Feedback on hunk splitting with Darcs 2.4 beta 1

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Mon Jan 18 22:16:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Isaac Dupree wrote:

> Eric Kow wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 20:40:09 +0000, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
>>> If you are trying to split a hunk, it's because there's a bit you
>>> want and a bit you don't want. Because they touch each other, the
>>> newly split hunks will have a dependency between them,
>
> oh, is that so (about the dependency)? I did not realize; does it make a
> difference to me as a user?

It means that some merges you'd like to work (and think it's obvious how
they should work), won't work.

[The reason is to do with invertibility of commutation, which is one of
the properties of patches that leads to the guarantee that you get the
same repo from the same set of patches no matter what the sequence.]

> (It's quite likely there's something I don't understand about darcs,
> since sometime I used 'darcs send' and it put some old draft patches of
> mine that weren't in the current repo into the "context" of the patch,
> thus making the patches unusable by upstream.)

This might be caused by a dependency of some form, or it might be
caused by darcs send being too eager at picking up context. I'm not sure
what darcs send does to decide what the context should be.

Ganesh