[darcs-users] darcs-buildpackage

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Tue Jan 19 08:32:06 UTC 2010

Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com> writes:

> While doing wiki gardening on http://wiki.darcs.net/RelatedSoftware ,
> I found that the repository
> http://darcs.complete.org/darcs-buildpackage was no longer available.

That was jgoerzen at complete.org (John Goerzen's) baby.  I think he
switched to git some time ago.

On 21 Aug 2009, John Goerzen wrote:
| Trent W. Buck wrote:
|> John Goerzen wrote:
|>> I am still listed as Maintainer of darcs-buildpackage, but I'm not
|>> maintaining it anymore.
|> IIUC, the correct procedure is to immediately orphan it [...]
|
| I'm happy to do that[...], but I thought I would mention it here first
| -- and also because it currently FTBFS and I'd have to figure out how
| to resolve that before orphaning it.

> Has it been replaced by another?

The debian-haskell group does things in a different way, which hopefully
is documented on a link from here (I can't be bothered finding it):

    http://wiki.debian.org/Haskell

Basically d-h packages (if they use Darcs) just make debian/ a separate
repository.  If upstream needs to be patched, dpkg source format 3.0
(quilt) is used.  Here are mine (which ignore most of the d-h policy):

    http://darcs.debian.org/collab-maint/mg/
    http://darcs.debian.org/pkg-haskell/darcs/

> Is the description on http://wiki.darcs.net/RelatedSoftware accurate?

I suggest replacing the long description there with a one-line
description and advice to "apt-get install from sid".  Oh, and mention
it's unmaintained :-)