[darcs-users] [patch141] Include the exact package versions darcs was compiled

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Tue Jan 19 09:00:32 UTC 2010

Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net> writes:

> Ganesh Sittampalam <bugs at darcs.net> writes:
>> This breaks the build for me with GHC 6.12.1, cabal-install 0.8.0, Cabal
>> 1.8.0.2. Haven't investigated further yet:
>>
>> Setup.lhs:225:43: Not in scope: `packageDeps'
>> cabal: Error: some packages failed to install:
>> darcs-2.3.1 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
>> ExitFailure 1
> Ugh.
>
> It seems that cabal-install picks the system-wide Cabal for compiling
> Setup, so even though I have 1.8 installed, I am using 1.6. That's why
> this didn't get caught in my testing. Anyway, I have checked, and
> packageDeps is now gone and replaced with componentPackageDeps, which is
> however not available in 1.6.

When dealing with an unrelated cabal bug today, I was told to try

   cabal install <usual stuff> --cabal-lib-version=1.9.0

...which, for Darcs, caused cabal-install to use a libHScabal from
~/.ghc/ instead of /usr/.  IIUC it was needed because Darcs isn't a
"build-type: Simple" package, and darcs.cabal didn't demand a specific
version of cabal.

> My proposed course of action would be this:
> - roll this back for 2.4 (probably on the release branch)

  +1, this is the safest course for 2.4.

> - on HEAD, bump required cabal version to 1.8
> - fix HEAD to compile with 1.8 (breaking 1.6 here)
> - fix HEAD to only compile libdarcs once (using the new 1.8 feature)
>
> I can cabal-install Cabal 1.8 on GHC 6.8, although it will probably take
> some persuasion to make cabal-install use it for Setup, actually.

Unfortunately, it looks like you're right.  I have Cabal-1.8.0.2 in /usr
and Cabal-1.9.0 (actually HEAD) in ~/.ghc.  I tried bumping the floor of
the Cabal-Version field in darcs.cabal to 1.9, but this just resulted in
a warning.  And hiding Cabal-1.9.0 (with "ghc-pkg hide") didn't turn it
into a warning, so it seems that the floor isn't enforced.