[darcs-users] [patch123] Name the separators in the hunk splittin... (and 1 more)

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Wed Jan 20 22:13:13 UTC 2010

Thanks for the patch form of this, Eric.

Eric Kow <bugs at darcs.net> writes:
> Interactive hunk edit:
>  - This edit will not affect your working copy
>  - To split a block of added text, remove the part you want to postpone
>  - To split a block of removed text, copy back the part you want to retain
>  - Arbitrary editing is supported

> ======================== BEFORE (for reference) ========================
> rambling robot
> red rover
> ======================== AFTER (edit below) ============================
> alliterative alligator
> amusing amoeba
> anecdotal antelope
> ======================== (edit above) ==================================

I know this is highly subjective, but I find the flushness of the labels
disturbing (to be exact, it nearly makes me twitch...). If they could be
centered, I would be most grateful. : - )

I also prefer the shortened version of the labels, but again that's
quite disputable. This would overall look like this: (it would be also
great if the 3rd bullet could be shortened by ~3 characters, but I don't
see how without compromising its clarity or grammatical
correctness... okay I shut up now)

> Interactive hunk edit:
>  - This edit will not affect your working copy
>  - To split a block of added text, remove the part you want to postpone
>  - To split a block of removed text, copy back the part you want to retain
>  - Arbitrary editing is supported
>
> ======================== BEFORE (reference) =============================
> rambling robot
> red rover
> =========================== AFTER (edit) ================================
> alliterative alligator
> amusing amoeba
> anecdotal antelope

Yours,
   Petr.

PS: As things stand, I vote for including hunk splitting in 2.4,
augmented with Eric's proposed patch. I don't think it compromises
stability or correctness, so I would be comfy with a freeze exception
here.