[darcs-users] darcs 2.4 and hunk splitting

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Wed Jan 20 22:21:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010, Reinier Lamers wrote:
>
>  I am putting out darcs 2.4 beta 2 right now, but I'm very confused about
>> the question of interactive hunk editing. Should it be in darcs 2.4, and if
>> yes, in what form?
>>

> [...]
>

>  Finally, we can drop the hunk splitting altogether. The drawback is that
>> we are withholding this feature from our users for one more release.
>>

> I'd just like to note that the discussion about the feature was only
> triggered by the beta, despite Eric and I making some effort to start one
> when the patches first went in. So it's a nasty trap, that any other feature
> like this could also wind up needing two release cycles to actually get in.
>
> So personally, I'd be inclined to spend a bit longer in the beta cycle, get
> this right and tested, and be done with it. But I may be biased :-)

I wouldn't have agreed with you a year ago, but I'm starting to see a trend
here.  It certainly seems that until we say, "Here is your beta, please try
it before we ship in N weeks" people don't really try it out.  Which is
fair.

So I think planning to have longer release cycles is smart.  Let the
disruptive development continue on HEAD and the new feature convergence
happen in both branches (assuming we have good confidence of correctness by
the ship date).

Just my $0.02,
Jason