[darcs-users] [patch123] Name the separators in the hunk splittin... (and 1 more)

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Wed Jan 20 22:46:49 UTC 2010

Eric Kow wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 22:00:32 +0000, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
>> I don't think I'm the best person to decide on whether the text is clear. (It is
>> to me, for what it's worth.)
>
> Mark, Isaac [and ideally, a user who hasn't already chimed in]?

PLEASE, someone who hasn't chimed in! because for me, this bit

>  - To split a block of added text, remove the part you want to postpone
>  - To split a block of removed text, copy back the part you want to retain

smacks of confusingness because it's teaching me to do something that I
already have a simpler* understanding of (edit the result text to record
a patch that's as if the file-being-recorded had that text..). But it
might be just the thing needed, to teach someone who's new to darcs, I
have no idea.

well, it states itself as something that you must read, so I feel that I
need to wrap my brain around it before proceeding (VCS safety
caution..).  What about putting "hint:" at the beginning of those lines?
  Hmm.

*well, more orthogonal to the rest of darcs anyway i.e. "it's like
recording file changes" -- Not saying that many darcs users can predict
exactly how the diffing and merging and commuting algorithms works every
time, because try-and-try-again intuition tends to work well enough for
me in darcs (after reading the docs to make sure a thing is not a
"permanently delete some information" operation.. sadly a necessary step :-)

-Isaac