[darcs-users] [patch123] Name the separators in the hunk splittin... (and 1 more)

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Thu Jan 21 07:36:48 UTC 2010

On 1/20/2010 17:11, Eric Kow wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 22:00:32 +0000, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
>> I don't think I'm the best person to decide on whether the text is clear. (It is
>> to me, for what it's worth.)
>
> Mark, Isaac [and ideally, a user who hasn't already chimed in]?

I can fill the role of someone that hasn't paid much attention to the
debate beforehand.

For the most part it looks reasonable, and the following are merely
nitpicks.

I think Petr is right that perhaps the bars should be center aligned
given the almost-center alignment already in place. (Although for center
alignment I'd prefer that the text take up roughly as much space; maybe
add a THE END next to (edit above) or something similar.)

> I repeat the text for convenience.
>
> Interactive hunk edit:
>   - This edit will not affect your working copy
>   - To split a block of added text, remove the part you want to postpone

Given the Before/After distinction (which I think I like), perhaps this
would be slightly less confusing if it were "after text" rather than
"added text".

>   - To split a block of removed text, copy back the part you want to retain

I don't think that "removed text" is as confusing as "added text", but
I'm not sure why that is to me. It could probably likewise be "before
text", but then I think "copy back" becomes confusing...

>   - Arbitrary editing is supported

Certainly it won't be "arbitrary" to the person actually doing it. Maybe
"additional" is a better word choice? "Advanced"?

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net