[darcs-users] [patch123] Name the separators in the hunk splittin... (and 1 more)

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Thu Jan 21 07:44:38 UTC 2010

Hi,

Max Battcher <me at worldmaker.net> writes:
>> I repeat the text for convenience.
>>
>> Interactive hunk edit:
>>   - This edit will not affect your working copy
>>   - To split a block of added text, remove the part you want to postpone
>
> Given the Before/After distinction (which I think I like), perhaps this would
> be slightly less confusing if it were "after text" rather than "added text".
>>   - To split a block of removed text, copy back the part you want to retain
>
> I don't think that "removed text" is as confusing as "added text", but I'm not
> sure why that is to me. It could probably likewise be "before text", but then I
> think "copy back" becomes confusing...
Sadly, this is not what it means. : - ( The removed text is text missing
from "AFTER", (and is mentioned in "BEFORE"). If all you do is remove a
block of text, the editor will look like this:

> Interactive hunk edit:
>  - This edit will not affect your working copy
>  - To split a block of added text, remove the part you want to postpone
>  - To split a block of removed text, copy back the part you want to retain
>  - Arbitrary editing is supported

> rambling robot
> red rover

that's why you are supposed to "copy back" stuff -- from the BEFORE
section to the AFTER section.

Yours,
   Petr.