[darcs-users] [patch123] Name the separators in the hunk splittin... (and 1 more)

Daniel Dickison danieldickison at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 14:41:22 UTC 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 5:32 PM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 22:00:32 +0000, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
>> I don't think I'm the best person to decide on whether the text is clear. (It is
>> to me, for what it's worth.)
>
> Mark, Isaac [and ideally, a user who hasn't already chimed in]?
>
> I repeat the text for convenience.
>
> Interactive hunk edit:
> - This edit will not affect your working copy
> - To split a block of added text, remove the part you want to postpone
> - To split a block of removed text, copy back the part you want to retain
> - Arbitrary editing is supported

For what it's worth, this text is quite clear to me.  I've been loosely following the discussion, and I was completely confused with the earlier move-the-split-marker-around stuff, but this new UI and instructions seem quite intuitive.  I think the key to my understanding was realizing that it's a "chronological" split of a hunk rather than a textual line split (if that makes any sense).

If it won't be too verbose, it might be good to mention something about how a post-split hunk (is that what the "filler" patch is?) will be created to bring the AFTER state to the current working copy state.  That would clarify how bullet points 1 and 4 work.

2 cents.

Daniel