[darcs-users] is darcs 2.4 supposed to be faster? Re: darcs 2.4 beta 2 release

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sun Jan 24 07:26:31 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, 2010-01-20, at 10:49 , Reinier Lamers wrote:

> darcs 2.4 will contain many improvements and bugfixes compared to
> darcs 2.3.1. Highlights are the fast index-based diffing which is
> now used by all darcs commands, and the experimental interactive
> hunk editing.

This text makes it sound as though users who upgrade to darcs 2.4
from earlier versions of darcs can expect performance improvements,
but as far as I understand from [1], and [2], the current trunk of
darcs is actually slower than earlier releases of darcs for the
operations that I sometimes wait on (annotate, whatsnew, pull, get).

Are we supposed to expect performance improvements from this
release?  Perhaps the release announcement could be made more
specific about what, if any, operations are expected to be faster.
"Index-based diffing" means nothing to me, except possibly that the
"darcs whatsnew" and "darcs diff" commands should be effected.

Regards,

Zooko