[darcs-users] Darcs 2.4 - performance testing (stage 1)

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Tue Jan 26 19:02:50 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:
> I'm arbitrarily declaring this stage 1 of performance testing
> (we're not entirely there yet, though)
>
> The official repo has moved to
> http://code.haskell.org/darcs/darcs-benchmark/
>
> Could you guys use this for further benchmarking?  I've
> - ignored errors removing the stats file
> - added benchmarks for revert/unrevert (interestingly,
>  this one takes time; perhaps conflicts in the unrevert
>  patch?)

I upgraded to this yesterday and it seemed to work just fine (although
I'm tempted to recomment out the remove file, because as I suspected
it seems that just about every operation causes the remove file to
spit out an error on Windows). I'll try to run a full benchmark
tonight. I wanted to build Beta 3 and/or Beta 2 first. The last
attempt to build Beta 2 failed because cabal install couldn't pick up
hashed-storage 0.4.5, but I'll try to figure out what's up with that
tonight. (It might have been before 0.4.5 was on hackage, whlch it
appears to be now.)

I'd also like to figure out why I can't capture the output with the
normal shell redirects on Windows. That's a low priority, of course.

Also, maybe we should put together a few Wiki pages to store/compare
benchmark results? (It may be worth tweaking darcs-benchmark's ASCII
art output to conform to reST tables, to make it all the easier to
Wikify the benchmarks. I don't think there is much to do in that
department other than an outside border...)

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/