[darcs-users] more hunk editing feedback (was: Re: darcs 2.4 beta 3release)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Jan 28 15:49:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:07:21 -0500, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> > Also, unless I'm missing something, wouldn't you have just said 'n'
> > in the traditional interface for this case?
>
> Right, and then later a "revert". I was hoping to get two steps down to
> one. Instead of record+revert, I could just do a "record".

Perhaps you want revert-upon-record.

Sigh :-) Darcs really trains us to demand better.

Well, here's a ticket opened for reverting upon record (split off
from issue107) <http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1734>

I can recognise that my uber-interactive UI may be a silly idea,
but I'm still not particularly happy about the encroachment of new
features in the interactive UI (especially since here the temptation is
to say "eh, what does a new keypress in the interactive interface
cost?").

Of course, I could very well be mistaken.  It's possible that adding
just one more keypress really is harmless, or that reverting upon record
really is *so* useful that it's worth they extra ability; or that this
has such natural conceptual integrity anyway that's really free.

Or maybe <http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1713> is a way out.  It asks
for the interactive UI to distinguish between basic keypresses and
advanced ones, is a good enough idea that having such a feature won't be
so bad

  Shall I record this change? (1/1)  [ynWesfvplxdaqjk], or ? for help
  Shall I record this change? (1/1)  [yndq], or ? for more options

[The cost of the above is that we hide functionality, so users may not
even be aware they can, for example skip or select-all to entire files]

Argh, need more wisdom! I don't know! Somebody code something!

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9