[darcs-users] more hunk editing feedback

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Thu Jan 28 21:32:27 UTC 2010

Eric Kow wrote:
> Or maybe <http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1713> is a way out.  It asks
> for the interactive UI to distinguish between basic keypresses and
> advanced ones, is a good enough idea that having such a feature won't be
> so bad
>
>   Shall I record this change? (1/1)  [ynWesfvplxdaqjk], or ? for help
>   Shall I record this change? (1/1)  [yndq], or ? for more options
>
> [The cost of the above is that we hide functionality, so users may not
> even be aware they can, for example skip or select-all to entire files]

my take on the above:
The current list of letters is so long that I pay it no attention
(besides y/n which are pretty standard/obvious).  I have to go looking
around in "?" to find out anything anyway.

speaking of the help, I wish it would give me mnemonics for the letters.
For example I'm kinda scared to say "d" when unpulling for example,
because it makes me think of "delete". but maybe "i'm done!" is more
like what's intended.  Although even "done" isn't a good enough mnemonic
for "skip the rest of the changes including this one" unless I accept
that it's a really imperative interface... and I like to pretend it
isn't :-)

-Isaac