[darcs-users] Darcs 2.4 - performance testing (stage 1)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Jan 31 22:46:18 UTC 2010

Just a minor update on the march towards darcs-wiki-fied performance
tables.

I've updated the tabular library and benchmarking to add the RST
style borders around the tables.

The next step is to modify the Pandoc RST reader for table support.
Much of the work has already been done for us as John's extended
markdown syntax has table support

 - http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/README.html#tables
 - http://github.com/kowey/pandoc/blob/master/src/Text/Pandoc/Readers/Markdown.hs

Anybody up for adapting the Pandoc Markdown table parser to RST?  I
tried to look at it, but then I ran out of weekend :-(.

The work would allow people to just copy and paste darcs-benchmark
output to the darcs-wiki.  If we work fast enough, we may be able to
have something up by the release (7 Feb).  The numbers may not be
glorious, but I think we should show them anyway.

It's some light Haskell reading with a few adaptations.  We don't have
to fully support the tables if it makes life tricky (ie.  we could dump
row-spanning columns); we just need something that's good enough for
benchmarking.

Otherwise, we could just have darcs-benchmark render these as verbatim
blocks.

Thanks,

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9