[darcs-users] [issue1883] It's too easy to mix up --patch-name and --patch in some commands

Reinier Lamers tux_rocker at reinier.de
Thu Jul 1 15:57:04 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Op donderdag 01 juli 2010 03:24 schreef Eric Kow:
> Observations are:
>
>  * there is --match option (which fortunately appears never to be tied to -
m)
>  * depending on the kind of matchers different command have, there is
actually
>    a different --match (eg. amend-record) and --matches (eg. changes) flag
>  * the current --patch retains a nice symmetry with the above (--patch when
>    --match and --patches when --matches)
>  * BELIEF: nobody actually uses the long form of -m (--patch-name) or -p (--
patch)
>  * BELIEF: changing the short names would be quite disruptive and not very
beneficial

Just speaking for myself here: I indeed never realized that "-m" was short for
"--patch-name", but using "--patch" for "-p" sounds sensible. I may have done
that sometimes.

> So I think we can get away with just changing --patch-name to --set-patch-
name
> and doing it fast with little need for deliberation.
>
> Thoughts?

I think the imperative nature of "--set-patch-name" is a bit weird between the
other declarative flag names. Wouldn't "--name" do the trick just as well?

Reinier