[darcs-users] odds/evens? (was: darcs 2.5 beta 1 release)

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Tue Jul 13 17:57:24 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 09:53:35AM +0100, Eric Kow wrote:
> =============================     =======  ========  =================
> task                              current  odd/even  comments
> =============================     =======  ========  =================
[...]
> Name ongoing work in HEAD         2.7      2.9
> after release branch has been
> cut

Are you really about to have two actively maintained branches (even
aka stable vs. odd aka development)?

I'm not sure wether this would be a good idea (unless the odd
branches are a very short-living species); active developers would
have more work, people would probably do less testing.

And with long-living odd branches there's the danger of people
becoming sloppy and introducing bugs/breaking things more often
because it's `the unstable branch'. Of course, this depends on the
people involved, so it won't be happen to darcs ;-)

Ciao,
	Kili

ps: fwiw, I've absolutely no problems with some 2.4.99.* as a beta
series for 2.5.