[darcs-users] [patch304] Reduce DarcsFlag usage in Darcs.Patch and Darcs.Repository

Petr Ročkai bugs at darcs.net
Thu Jul 15 02:40:38 UTC 2010

New submission from Petr Ročkai <me at mornfall.net>:

(Resubmitting, as roundup ate my previous attempt...)

Hi,

as discussed recently on IRC, I have started purging use of [DarcsFlag]
arguments in the inner layers of the library (Darcs.Patch, Darcs.Repository).

The attached patchset should compile and pass the testsuite, although it breaks
trackdown with --bisect and --set-scripts-executable. A test for that would be
fairly welcome... the fix is not clear to me, since GHC gives a rather odd
complaint about class constraints. When I find a fix for that, I'll amend the
offending patch.

There are still ways to go, although Darcs.Patch now only uses DarcsFlag in
makeBundle, for --unified: apropos, would it make sense to just remove that
option and make it the default? The context is ignored by darcs and I can't
think of a situation where it would be undesirable for humans -- it is usually
much more readable. So I argue that its optionality is superfluous and can be
removed. (I don't think efficiency is a factor here, either.)

In Darcs.Repository, there's still a fair number of uses, not least in the
constructor of DarcsRepo. When I get around to another round of DarcsFlag
purges, I'll try to deal with those...

Yours,
   Petr.

6 patches for repository http://darcs.net/:

Wed Jul 14 17:50:59 CEST 2010  Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
  * Remove [DarcsFlag] argument from unrecordedChanges.

Wed Jul 14 19:52:08 CEST 2010  Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
  * Wibble path building in Repository.Prefs.

Thu Jul 15 02:08:22 CEST 2010  Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
  * Remove --nolinks, since its scope and usefulness is very limited.

Thu Jul 15 02:22:49 CEST 2010  Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
  * Remove [DarcsFlag] parameters from apply.

Thu Jul 15 02:33:20 CEST 2010  Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
  * Replace some [DarcsFlag] uses with newly introduced RemoteDarcs.

Thu Jul 15 02:34:49 CEST 2010  Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
  * Use Compression more widely, suppressing further [DarcsFlag] uses.

files: remove-_darcsflag_-argument-from-unrecordedchanges_.dpatch, unnamed
messages: 11748
nosy: mornfall
status: needs-review
title: Reduce DarcsFlag usage in Darcs.Patch and Darcs.Repository

<http://bugs.darcs.net/patch304>