[darcs-users] benchmarks (Was: darcs 2.5 beta 1 release)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Jul 18 16:12:06 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 09:18:01 -0600, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> Hm, so adding those two lines to the GNUmakefile as a new target named
> "benchmark" and then having the buildmaster invoke "make benchmark"
> would run benchmarks on lots of buildslaves?

As you point out, that would be related to
  http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1569

Benchmarking for our purposes is a little bit more involved than that
since we may want to benchmark multiple versions of Darcs.  We also have
the problem of benchmarks taking a very long time to run and of wanting
to collect benchmarks incrementally, reporting them all in one go.

Certainly still worth looking into.

> Okay I tried adding those lines to GNUmakefile and running "make
> benchmark" locally and it failed to compile darcs-benchmark:

> ghc: unrecognised flags: -fno-warn-unused-do-bind
> Usage: For basic information, try the `--help' option.

Whoops!  Sorry, I should have thought of that when I put the flag into
the Cabal file.  I've now uploaded a new version of darcs-benchmark,
so hopefully if you cabal update and cabal install darcs-benchmark you
should have a working darcs-benchmark.

For a faster response, please try +44 (0)1273 64 2905.