[darcs-users] darcs 2.5 release schedule

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Thu Jul 22 06:53:43 UTC 2010

Hi,

Reinier Lamers <tux_rocker at reinier.de> writes:

> The start of the soft freeze (day N) will be Thursday July 8th.
> On Sunday July 11th          (N+3),  beta 1 is tagged and released
> On Thursday July 22th        (N+14), the release branch is deep
>                                      -frozen

It seems we are about here now. However, there are two issues that I
would like to address *somehow* before we decide that the hard freeze is
now.

Those are the issue 1599 fix by Adolfo that just landed in the patch
tracker (and will need some review and probably at least one amendment
iteration).

The other is the http packs stuff, which is partially in, but it's not
in a good enough shape for release (due to --lazy breakage, etc.).

I think there are two main options:

- slip the 2.5 cycle a bit
- release 2.5 without these, but let them into 2.5.1

I am more inclined for the latter, actually. The plan of action would
therefore be to:

- roll back the HTTP packing from branch-2.5 (but keep it untouched on
  HEAD, since we have diverged the branches anyway)
- release 2.5 on schedule (as below)
- land the above changes in HEAD in the meantime
- post-2.5, roll out a 2.5.1 (probably a couple weeks later) that would
  include these two (and maybe others as needed)

The main downside here is, I think, that the rollback patch is going to
conflict with the later patches that depend on the original. On the
other hand, rolling this back on HEAD is going to land our students in
trouble since their work in progress will conflict badly with the
rollback.

One of the options may be to re-branch 2.5.1 from HEAD, which would mean
it'll miss the 2.5 tag, but I guess that's no big deal... It'll be also
some extra work. Hard call if you ask me...

> On Sunday July 25th          (N+17), beta 2 is tagged and relased
> On Sunday August 1st         (N+24), rc1 is taggd and released
> On Saturday August 7th       (N+30), rc2 or final is tagged and released

Yours,
   Petr.