[darcs-users] Feedback in document about the cache mechanism

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Jul 22 13:10:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:04:44 -0500, Adolfo Builes wrote:
> As part of my GSoC project, I'm also working on a document about the
> cache mechanism, the aim of this document is to help people to
> understand how the cache system works, I have a first draft, and what
> I'm requesting now is if you please could take a moment to look at it,
> and give me some feedback, like things you would like to see, things
> you think could be improve,  etc.

Adolfo's effort is one of our first attempts to start developing
high-level technical documentation for Darcs (*), the sort of thing that
focuses on how Darcs should behave under the hood (yet, not on the
implementation).  It's the sort of thing that should give you just
enough detail that you could reimplement Darcs in Fortran if you wanted
to.

It could also be useful for power users who want to know "what is Darcs
really doing?"  Hopefully this sort of thing will also be useful to
Darcs library users and/or developers getting started with Darcs hacking

Adolfo: what happens in step 6 when fetching a hashed file?

Eric

(*) Pioneered by Jason in http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsInternals/Record

For a faster response, please try +44 (0)1273 64 2905.