[darcs-users] Project too big for conversion from hashed to darcs-2

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Jun 7 09:15:45 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 10:44:44 +0200, Vincent Zweije wrote:
> I have a project with several branches, all optimize --upgrade'd to
> hashed format.

OK, so my knee-jerk reaction whenever somebody mentions upgrading to
Darcs 2 is to trot out this page,

  http://wiki.darcs.net/FAQ#should-i-convert-my-repository-to-the-darcs-2-format

(which seems less necessary since you've already gone to hashed and
still want to go further, which I assume means is a conscious/informed
choice)

> Unfortunately, I'm stuck here. I'd like to convert to darcs-2, but the
> branches have numerous conflicts. The standard recipe (tag branches,
> merge, convert, split out into branches again) is not going to work:
> the merge has been running over the weekend and shows no sign of progres.
>
> Is there any other way to get there from here?
>

> Tangentially related: the branches are tracked subversion
> repositories. I've noticed that updates to changelog files, which are
> kept in subversion in the different branches, are *always* conflicting
> between branches. This is probably typical of changelog files, and an
> interesting insight in itself.

Is this perhaps the ChangeLog problem?
http://bugs.darcs.net/issue674

> At some point in the past I've taken to recording any change to a
> changelog file in a separate patch, so it can be excluded when copying
> patches between the darcs branches. Perhaps there's a trick to exclude
> the changelog files from the conversion and so greatly reduce the number
> of conflicts, making the merge manageable again?

Perhaps.  Could the 'touch' matcher be used to good effect here?
You may have to manually rebase the ChangeLog patches after the
fact.

See darcs help patterns

> Answering my own question: obliterate the changelog patches, convert,
> and reapply them by hand afterwards? Success depends on conflicts in
> the remaining patches. That's a project for another weekend.

Hope this helps,