[darcs-users] [issue1176] caches interfere with --remote-repo flag

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Tue Jun 8 15:13:56 UTC 2010

Hi,

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:
>> Although --remote-repo  "rewrites" the defaultrepo, it always contains the
>> defaultrepo also in the sources list, that's why it was trying to connect to
>> "kowey at ..." (I'm just guessing it was to that one), and darcs always tries
>> the repos from the cache rather than the default or the given one.
>
> OK, so what are some ways to tackle the problem?  Should defaultrepo go
> in the sources list? (Keeping in mind that you may change your
> defaultrepo at any time).
>
> Could an extension of your sorting solution be put into place?  What I
> believe and sincerely *hope* happens is that it's still treating the
> (HTTP) remote-repo repository as the repo to pull from, and that the
> only reason I see SSH password prompts is because of sources.

I think extending the sort to prefer unauthenticated sources over
authenticated (among the remotes) would be reasonable fix for that.

Also, this would have the side-effect of using a faster channel by
default to fetch patches and such, even if you pull through
ssh. Security should not be an issue, since you get secure hashes
through the primary pull channel, and all the data you get through the
insecure channel is hashed and can be therefore verified for integrity.

Yours,
   Petr.