[darcs-users] MacPorts, darcs 2.4.1 and hashed-storage

Scott Michel scottm at aero.org
Fri Jun 18 23:27:29 UTC 2010

Eric:

I wish I had the bandwidth to update the port -- I'm not the port
maintainer, BTW. All I can do is submit patches and hope for the best.
My bandwidth is limited by the fact that I manage a computer systems
research department (yes, get the laugh in now -- a technically
engaged manager causes many people cognitive dissonance.)

Also, recent changes in the Haskell platform are what drives the
problem forward. Evidently, mmap 0.5.x is in the H-P, which drives an
interim patch to hashed-storage. Unless the H-P platform maintainer
for MacPorts bumps mmap back down to 0.4.x, the interim patch is a
necessary evil.

I'm sure that I could try out Darcs 2.4.4 and hope that it works with
hashed-storage 0.4.11 and mmap 0.5.x. But I don't think I'd get to
working on that until my next "research day off" next week.

Heck, if I were to prioritize, I'd be more inclined to get ghc 6.12 up
and running in MacPorts. That's a longer duration project. In the
meantime, though, my patch is a reasonable "BandAid (tm)" for those
who are stuck in the port upgrade outdated process due to a broken
hashed-storage upgrade.

-scooter