[darcs-users] how do you make patch review efficient?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Jun 23 10:36:22 UTC 2010

Hi everybody,

We've been talking on IRC lately about how to make our patch review process
more efficient.  At the risk of framing this incorrectly, I think what we
should aim for is preserving necessary delays (those that force us to think
carefully about what we're doing) while killing the unnecessary ones.

Friction is bad  :-(
Momentum is good :-)

So what in your patch review manual?  The three tricks I'm adding to my
personal book of delay minimisation are:

 - discuss patches on IRC so you get immediate feedback, but be sure to
   summarise and link the conversation afterwards

 - if there are patches to amend, push the largest safe/acceptable
   subset of the bundle you can

 - do not let trivial amendments block a patch (*); instead, follow
   up by pushing corrections on your own

If you have any more tips of this sort, we can summarise them on
http://wiki.darcs.net/Development/PatchReview

Thanks!

Eric

(*) I've been guilty of this many times, the excuse I tend give is
    "well, since I'm asking you for something non-trivial anyway..."

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9