[darcs-users] Version numbers and latex document editing

Niall Murphy nmurphy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 22:15:13 UTC 2010

Thanks all for your ideas. I realise I was kind of stuck in my thinking.
Your suggestions made me think about the problem in a different way.
I think i have a solution now.

The main use of the in-file version numbers was not for me while
editing the file.
It is used when I email source to co-authors who do not use version control.
When an edited text returns, i need to know what revision they made
their changes too.
This info can be easily inserted into the file (and file name) before emailing.

Regarding the version info for the PDF, I think the simplest solution
is a line like this in the makefle
darcs info --show_useful_info | text2pdf | pdftk stamp (*)
this stamps the repository's useful information on the top of every
page and avoids the (sometimes messy) svninfo package altogether.

(*) actual command is more like
darcs info --show_usefull_info | text2pdf -A4 -v0 -l1 | pdftk $@ stamp
- output s$@

Thanks for the ideas!