[darcs-users] [patch167] Reintroduce UTF-8 tagging (and 1 more)

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Fri Mar 19 17:30:30 UTC 2010

Reinier Lamers wrote:
>> I am still opposed to Ignore-This hacks.
>
> Is there an alternative? And in what way is it a hack? The "Ignore-this:"
> mechanism is intended to give information about a patch to the processing
> darcs, isn't it?

It's been discussed before that patches should have a real, reliably
extensible metadata format, rather than the quick hacks that are the
Ignore-This lines, which look stupid when you look at the real patch
comment and are very obviously a hack anytime you see a patch in the wild.

Of course, that discussion gets derailed in the debate between coming up
with a new, better patch format in general or using the existing long
comments ala Ignore-This, but perhaps with a more, strictly standardized
MIME-like or email header-like approach. Of course any such approach
will break compatibility with one or more tools...

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net