[darcs-users] patch metadata, annotations, Ignore-this, tagging, etc

Trent W. Buck twb at cybersource.com.au
Thu Mar 25 03:14:22 UTC 2010

Jason Dagit <dagitj at gmail.com> writes:

> [...] I've heard that sqlite has a much better track record in this
> regard.  I don't know enough about hashed-storage to say whether it
> could be used to store the inventory/patch metadata.

The sqlite people claim (claimed?) that it's too dangerous to use on
NFS, due to poor mutex locking support on that filesystem (and other
network filesystems, including CIFS, AFS and SSHFS).

And there's that case where the idiots at MoCo and GNOME are calling
fsync all the time because their databases can't cope with the long
(default) commit intervals of ext4 and btrfs.

I'm not saying it can't be done right.  I'd just like some confidence
that Darcs *will* do it right.