[darcs-users] Gentoo Haskell and Darcs 2

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Mar 28 14:57:15 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 16:39:37 +0200, Lennart Kolmodin wrote:
> Ahhh.... there has been some confusion from my side, I thought darcs2
> was the hashed format. Now I see that there is actually three formats.
> This makes it much easier to move from darcs1 to darcs1+hashed.

It's a very common source of confusion and resistance to hashed
repositories.

We've been making a little progress over the past 2 years trying to
overcome this, but we're starting to get there!

One issue is that we're still only reacting whenever we see this
confusion as opposed to reaching more aggressively out to users who we
think should be upgrading.  We've made the darcs get start to nag people
to in turn nag their repository owners to upgrade, but perhaps we could
be more proactive still.

> So, given that all Gentoo users have darcs2;
> We could upgrade "darcs optimize --upgrade" the master repo.
> Change users' command from --partial to --lazy.
> Both these changes will be transparent to the users, right?

That sounds right to me :-)

> Do we need to do anything with their reposes, as they are not hashed, to
> get them hashed?

No. If they already have repos to pull from, this should be completely
transparent.

In fact, this transparency is why some people may notice darcs get
seeming to get slower with pre-existing repositories.

For safety reasons, we turned on automatic darcs get from
old-fashioned-to-hashed format, which is very slow.  Once we get more
server side repos upgraded to hashed, this added slowness should go
away.

> Conflicts are rarely an issue for us, so darcs1 will do fine.
> This was much easier than I thought!

:-)

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9