[darcs-users] darcs get failing with missing Makefile that used to be in repo

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed May 5 14:14:38 UTC 2010

Hi Ben,

On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 10:05:34 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:
> $ mkdir tmp10
> $ cd tmp10
> $ darcs get ~/src/lsdupes
> Unapplicable patch:
> Fri Dec 25 14:58:11 CET 2009  benc at hawaga.org.uk
>   * should use autoconf now
> darcs: ./Makefile: openBinaryFile: does not exist (No such file or
> directory)
> $ darcs --exact-version
> darcs compiled on May 25 2009, at 11:35:34
> # configured Thu Jan 15 14:31:24 PST 2009
> ./configure /usr/local/share/config.site /usr/local/etc/config.site

Sounds like you might have a corrupted repo (which we only noticed
upon trying to get it as hashed format).  You can verify this with
darcs check.

I'll bet that darcs get --old-fashioned does not complain (which
just means it's being duped, like older darcs were, and not
noticing the problem)

> There used to be a makefile in my repository, but I subsequently removed
> it and moved to using autoconf which generates it at build time. However,
> there is no Makefile from that sitting around in my repo directory at the
> moment.

> The patch that its failing on is not the patch that removed the makefile
> (I think) - that happens a bit later - but for a while I had the autoconf
> generated Makefile in darcs too.

Were you using anything like Unison to synchronise files?  One thing
that used to happen to me was that I would remove something (which
deletes a file from pristine) and for whatever reason, Unison would get
confused and try to re-add it to pristine.

Is there anything like a case-sensitivity problem?

(I tend to knee-jerk to these two things even if they aren't necessarily
the culprits)

Another possibility is that this may have been caused by some sort of
pending patch bug in (hopefully) an older darcs.

> So whats going on here and how can I make it better?

See if darcs repair helps you (backup first)

> I've put a tarball of ~benc/src/lsdupes, the repo I mentioned above, at
> http://dildano.hawaga.org.uk/tmp/lsdupes.tar.gz - so untarring that and
> then attempting to clone it would (I guess?) give the same behaviour for
> anyone interested.

Connection timed out.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9