[darcs-users] darcs get failing with missing Makefile that used to be in repo

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed May 5 15:23:54 UTC 2010

> Sounds like you might have a corrupted repo (which we only noticed
> upon trying to get it as hashed format).  You can verify this with
> darcs check.

$ darcs check

darcs failed:  No such file AnchoredPath [Name "Makefile"]

> See if darcs repair helps you (backup first)

$ darcs repair

darcs failed:  No such file AnchoredPath [Name "Makefile"]

> I'll bet that darcs get --old-fashioned does not complain (which just
> means it's being duped, like older darcs were, and not noticing the
> problem)

It gives the same error.

> Were you using anything like Unison to synchronise files?  One thing
> that used to happen to me was that I would remove something (which
> deletes a file from pristine) and for whatever reason, Unison would get
> confused and try to re-add it to pristine.
>
> Is there anything like a case-sensitivity problem?
>
> (I tend to knee-jerk to these two things even if they aren't necessarily
> the culprits)

Things that sound like that:

i) this home directory has been rsynced and backuped and restored a few
times as my various computers and hard-drives have failed and been
replaced. Most specifically, the way I've used rsync in the past for
backups would definitely restore files that had previously been deleted.
That sounds like the unison situation you describe above.

ii) I'm running os x so it has case-insensitive filenames. I'm fairly sure
that I've not had a file called 'makefile' in the past.

hmm. then try this one:  http://www.hawaga.org.uk/tmp/lsdupes.tar.gz