[darcs-users] darcs repository format naming cleanup
simon at joyful.com
Fri May 7 01:06:59 UTC 2010
I joined an interesting discussion on #darcs today; here's what I
proposed. I think this or something like it would be a good direction
to aim for. What do you think ?
darcs init --format=darcs-1|darcs-2-backward-compatible|darcs-2
- options related to repo format (--hashed, --darcs-2,
--old-fashioned-inventory) are gathered into one (--format).
- henceforth, the term "repo format" hides uninteresting-to-users
like the difference between internal patch format and plain/hashed
pristine storage. The output of darcs show repo is adjusted for
- repo format names indicate the minimum darcs version required to read
- repo formats evolve in a strict linear progression.
- a major darcs version may introduce a new repo format "darcs-n", and
this is not interoperable with the previous format, may introduce a
format "darcs-n-backward-compatible" which is.
- clear for users
- extensible into the future
- does not change the meaning of terms we're familiar with
- usability-wise, the current situation is a mess that will get worse
a cleanup like this
- "-backward-compatible" is long, so awkward for ui and docs and
conversation. It's also easy to misremember as "backwards". "-bc" is
shorter but less clear.
More information about the darcs-users