[darcs-users] infrastructure updates (quieter darcswatch)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri May 7 18:29:03 UTC 2010

Some infrastructure updates.

Bug/patch tracker
-----------------
* Fixed? "too many open files" error message
  We're now using roundup 1.4.13.

* New patch search interface

* Messages from Darcswatch are not CC'ed to darcs-users.
  No more automated messages saying a patch was applied.

  You may still get human-authored ones, but that's a question of
  policy.  Also, darcs-users is now CC'ed on patch traffic, instead of
  being made nosy

* All messages BCC'ed to darcs-devel, no more nosy darcs-devel

  This hopefully avoids the problem where people on darcs-devel will
  reply to a bug (without including bugs@ in the reply) and their
  message never winds up on the tracker.  Also, it means that I can
  restore auto-rejection of human-authored messages from darcs-devel

Wiki
----
* New init-style script (Trent Buck) -- wiki should now come back
  to life automatically if darcs.net is rebooted.

* You can now reset your password from the web interface

Notes
-----
Help is always welcome on tuning the infrastructure.  The code for the
darcs bug/patch-tracker setup (templates, Python plugins) lives here:

  darcs get http://darcs.net/darcs-bugtracker

If you want to add yourself to the nosy blacklist (never be nosy on a
ticket), you could either let me know or send a patch (see
detectors/config)

Future work
-----------
* Investigate patch MIME encoding issues
  http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1803

* Implement vacation mode for users (so that users can opt
  out of receiving any roundup mail).  We have the front end, but no
  backend.

  Unfortunately, I think this either means doing some copy+paste
  programming on the detector side, or submitting a patch to roundup
  because its core message sending code looks up the recipients from the
  nosy list for you.  Sounds like we'd need an extra parameter with
  users to filter *out*

* Add ditaa and graphviz plugins for the wiki

* RND: Now that I  have a tiny bit more mastery over roundup, perhaps
  add a BCC field to messages so that we can "invite"
  people to bugs without making them nosy?

  Some of us are unhappy about me adding them to the nosy list for bugs.
  Having a BCC field would allow us to make one-time contact with users
  so that they aren't subjected to future messages unless they reply.
  This could alleviate a bit of the unhappiness because I could then
  adopt a blanket policy of using the BCC field in most cases.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9