[darcs-users] Google Summer of Code: 2 projects accepted!

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu May 13 21:19:23 UTC 2010

Hi everybody,

I'd like to welcome Alexey Levan and Adolfo Builes to the Darcs project.
Both of their projects were accepted for the Google Summer of Code under
the Haskell.org umbrella.

Alexey will be working on improving the performance of network based
operations (making for faster darcs get and pull).  Adolfo will be
working on improving Darcs cache handling (making for a faster and more
predictable Darcs in general).  You can follow their work by visiting
http://planet.darcs.net (we'll be asking for weekly updates)

This is a first for the Darcs project, two students!  Many thanks to
everybody who provided input on prioritising the projects.  Now, some of
us may be disappointed that the second project was not the GUI.  I hope
you'll be happy nevertheless with this chance for extra Darcs work
anyway (*).  I hope that next year we will be in a much better position
to start stretching a bit more and tackling things like the Darcs GUI.

But first things first.  Let's make Darcs faster.  Meanwhile, good luck
to both students and happy hacking this summer!

Eric

(*) Getting to work on a second project this year was a surprise to
    us.  Unfortunately, the chance came about because one of the
    original Haskell.org students had to withdraw, and Adolfo's project
    was next in line.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9